I was Santa... for a while!
Monday, December 15, 2008
Friday was my day off and I got to do something people only dream of doing. I got to play Santa for a few hours... Sort of!
Being a part of the small community of Santa Claus Indiana the town gets thousands, I mean THOUSANDS of Santa letters each year from children all over the world. A lot of the people in and around the community pitch in to respond to these letters. Well, we are kind of backed up this year and this is why...
Some outsiders came in town last year and opened a little business for themselves thinking what a great way to earn some money. So, they advertised on the Internet that for $20.00, your child would receive a letter from Santa Claus post marked from Santa Claus Indiana. Many people here did not take a liking to this. We believe children's letter from Santa should be "Free". Don't get me wrong donations are accepted but never expected. Let me tell you making out those letters made me feel so good inside. It comes really close to last year when I was in Guatemala and we celebrated Christmas with the children at orphanage.
It really fills the heart with Christmas spirit.
If you have ever seen any of the HW commercials, the Santa's helper on the right might look familiar.







7 comments:
I always thought the kids got a generic letter back.. I didn't realize they were all personalized! so cute!
How awesome and how fun to play Santa!!!
WOW!! I'm so impressed!! I love that the whole town gets together to answer the letters. What a fun way to celebrate the season. Just knowing you are bringing a smile to countless kids had to make you happy for days. (My boys are going to be thrilled!!!)
Love your family pic in your Christmas card, just beautiful!!
Hugs!!
Stacey
Glad you had a great time! Now you must share some of the funniest contents of those letters with all of us not in the loop:) LOL! Oh and I need three of those Santa letters??? Is it too late??
You are such an angel...
Peace and Hugs,
Becca
Daniel got one of those letters... Santa sure has some great elves.
What fun!!!!
Post a Comment